View Single Post
Old February 25th, 2009, 08:35 AM

I wrote my own hosting program and database. I do use the disk/track number as an index and I do still include them in my books. The only reason is so people can see the version of a song. I have slips available for those that absolutely want to use them but I do not provide pens/pencils. When people come up, they tell me what they want and I add their song while they watch if they want. Some of the people with the slips like to turn in several songs at one time. And that is fine with me. My program not only keeps track of the history of a singer, it also keeps track of songs for a night. So we can que up as many as they like. It's also handy for the drunk that swears they haven't already sung the same song that night.. LOL

I do like the white board idea. But I may go a step further and use a second PC networked to my primary PC instead of a white board. I can write a stripped down version and allow singers to sit right behind me and search/add their own songs which will show up in my list. My program already shows the rotation on the TV monitors between songs and their is always at least one monitor pointing to the crowd.

As it is now, I do a lot of running around finding out who is singing what ahead of the rotation and that part is getting old. If I go to this, I'll pass by singers who have not come to me or added their own song before their turn comes.

I do adjust my rotation some so a straight white board wouldn't work for me. new singers can come in before me or at the end, period. And each singer can only sing once a rotation, period. But the next rotation if two singers are in different places in the rotation but want to sing a duet, I will move the lower singer up to the first singer so the next rotation they sing solo and back to back.