View Single Post
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
VIP

To muzicman144:
While I certainly appreciate that you think I deserve to be a One Man Show, and I cannot thank you enough for the huge compliment, I am very comfortable in my skin as I am. When I was younger, I wanted all the fame and fortune and tried to pursue that career, but as I started getting more and more recognition, I realized that I value my personal life and privacy too much to really make it big.

I have also discovered the joy that comes from helping others realize their dreams. As a KJ, I have the honor and priviledge to give other people the opportunity to expose a side of themselves they may not have been able to in any other venue. I've seen people with huge insecurities, find a home with Karaoke and develop a sense of self-worth - even if it's just in one area of their lives. There is a tremendous sense of satisfaction that comes with helping someone find something that makes them a more complete person. To watch someone blossom because of something you encouraged them to try is the greatest reward I get from this career.

My dirty little secret is that I am actually very shy and when I pull on the cloak of Alan Ross (my stage name, not my birth name), I become the performer people expect. My dear friends have some idea of who I really am, but only my wife has any idea what really makes me tick and how I feel about myself.

Crowds make me neverous and uncomfortable, which is why I need the mask of my stage personae to do what I do. I am very insecure about my abilities, but the Alan Ross character slips on and off the stage with ease. At home, my wife will tell you what a clutz I am and how silly I can be.

I say all this to let other people know that they can do what I do if they have a desire. I have always wanted to be a showman, but with limited talent, I had to develop skills. I was not blessed as some people are with natural talent. I've worked hard to grow and develop the skills necessary for a performance artist. It did help to be a big ham as a child, but that was to try to get attention as the "middle" child in a large family.

I spent years listening and disecting great vocalists and trying to duplicate in my voice what they do with theirs. I studied hard and learned how to use my voice to maintain proper pitch, tone and power. I've never had any professional vocal training, but I highly recommend it. I have sought the wisdom of great vocalists I've been fortunate enough to meet over the years and those with the best voices have learned the same skills I try to use. It's a learning process and every year, I try to improve. It is a lifelong commitment and it requires consistant training. You can never stop learning how to improve.

I've been in the entertainment field for the past 28 years and I am just now starting to feel like I can sing. I am better than I ever was, but I still have so much to learn and there is tremendous room for improvement. I used to say, if it takes until I'm 93 and I have to become the oldest New Recording Artist at the Grammy's, I'll keep trying. But truly, my focus has shifted from being very ego-centric to wanting to be a catalyst for other people to shine. It's much more rewarding.

But you have to have a tough skin. Not everyone is going to like you. There are certainly people who do not like me, but they respect what I do and they do not cause trouble. I've learned to accept those people that don't like me, so long as they don't disrupt the shows. Take me out back and kick my butt if you want, but don't do anything to make the audience uncomfortable or you will see another side. When I'm at work, I am all about the show. The audience doesn't care if I've got the flu, or if I'm in a bad mood. They are there to be entertained and forget their troubles. It's my job to give them that escape. This is what drives me.

Everyone has troubles and I consider my self blessed. I have a good job, a good home and a wife that loves me. Who am I to bring my troubles out to a show with me in front of people who may be in far more distress than I can imagine. We've had the priviledge to meet and perform for people with Cancer, MS, paralysis, heart disease, strokes, family problems, and even missing limbs. It is humbling to have these people make a special trip to our venue because they are made to feel appreciated and special. With our schedule, we don't usually do shows at Nursing Homes or Special Care facilities, these people come out to see us. What an honor.

My greatest honor is to perform for members of the military. I have the greatest respect for them and I'm not afraid to show it. I was fortunate to be living here, near where the Wright Brothers took their first historic flight at Kitty Hawk in 1903. In 2003, we celebrated the Centennial Of Flight and celebrities of all kinds came to the celebration. One of the original surviving Tuskegee Airmen came out to one of my shows and I became very emotional when, after singing "God Bless The USA" in his honor, he came over and shook my hand. What a moment! Later that evening, one of the officials of the Centennial celebration, who'd been watching the show, invited me to perform during the ceremonies - on the main stage, where people like Chuck Yager, Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, John Travolta and President Bush all made their presentations. I will never forget that feeling!!

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I appreciate the very kind things you have said about me, and for others to know that they can do it too. I don't often get the kind of positive feedback you would think. It's become expected and most KJs have learned that they don't get nearly the kind of audience response when they're working as they do when they visit a new area and sing. People grow used to you and eventually expect you to be good, so you don't often get the high praise. It's always appreciated and it's not going to my head, so keep it coming!! (just kidding)

- Alan Ross

Sorry I'm so long winded!! I'll bet Bryant's sorry he ever opened the door.

Alan Ross

PRIMARY TEST MACHINE:
HP Compaq DC5100SFF
Windows XP Home SP3
Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz
2GB Ram
250G Hard Drive
Sound Device: SoundMax digital Audio