Thread: New Singers
View Single Post
Old October 26th, 2004, 03:34 PM

Re: New Singers

You hit the nail on the head. It is a no win situation. Your not going to please everyone. I've been doing karaoke part time now for 4 years. Currently doing a 3 night gig at the same place now for 3 years. I only say this to give credit to what I'm going to say. 3 years, three nights a week at the same place does say you're doing something right. I normally get $225 a night for four hours. However since this particular place is having me there three nights (Sunday, Monday & Wednesday) a week I am only charging them $150 for 4 hours; $50 an hour past that. I never work more than an extra hour. (Have to keep up my day job.lol)

Anyway, back to my rat killin',...whatever system you use is fine as long as you're consistant and fair. Don't bump your friends up in line; don't take money to bump someone up. I've been offered $500 to bump someone up. Talk about the embarssement when you let the crowd know what was just offered. Some say I'm stupid for not taking advantage of situations like that, but if you ever do it once, then you're labeled. My crowd knows I'm fair and they don't argue.

I start the rotation off just like anyone else does. I'll keep adding people in the rotation at the end until I get about 15- 20. Past that point anyone new that comes up gets sandwiched in between "regulars" or someone who has been there from the start. My regulars understand this. Mainly because it's MY show; MY reputation. I do what I think is fair to the regulars while at the same time making it possible for that "possible new regular" to get a chance to sing. Many nights it gets quite hetic. However, I have never had a regular get mad at the rotation. The only trouble I get is from that first timer or someone who comes from another club where they can buy themselves a place in line. When they confront me and get to the point of being rude, I openly ask them on the mic what makes them better than anyone else here. And if they don't like it, we have a front door and a back door and they can take their pick. The crowds applauds; the person either sits down and waits their turn or they leave.

I have had every excuse thrown at mme I can think of. From "I got to get to my grandmas' funeral visitation" to "my cats fixin' to have kittens."

Just because you have regulars doesn't mean they own the place. Yes, they are the reason you get paid but they themselves were once a newcomer also. I'm am very fortunate to have the regulars I have. 75% of them have good to great voices also. that always makes the night go by faster. My other rule is if you sing, you clap when someone else sings. Regardless how bad they may be. I also dont' put up with booing or natsy remarks made to singers. You do that where I'm at and you'll get a tongue lashing.

Those that come in late and you have boocoos of singers. Just explain to them to come a little early next time.

Start on time, quit on time. You're in charge. Let them know that. And whatever system you use; be fair, be consistant. And don't worry about pleasing everyone. It ain't gonna happen. Sorry I got a little winded.

Kelly

Last edited by kedmison; October 26th, 2004 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling