Thread: KIAA Membership
View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Honor Roll

Just as a little more info on the licensing. BMI is really the big boy. They represent over 200,000 performers and songwriters. ASCAP only has about 60,000. SESAC is primarily European, Gospel, and Classical, but does represent Bob Dylan and Neil Diamond. One exception that I know of is Billy Joel. He negotiates his own performance fees. Does your venue have his OK?

Even though BMI has the biggest number of members, ASCAP is the oldest and still runs the show. They are the ones that primarily generate the airplay records that all of these guys are paid off of. ASCAP also has the lion's share of the biggest names. They pay the big boys most of the money and leave the rest without any compensation at all. BMI is a little bit better at feeding the small fish. They are also a non-profit. Probably why they have so many more members. SESAC is pretty much a non-issue in the US. If i didn't pay them, I not sure if they would even notice or care. I have never even received a renewal notice from them in 10 years. I just pay them at the same time I pay the other 2.