View Single Post
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:09 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
Walt,
I need a little bit of time to clarify this, but if I am not mistaken, I think that in both cases they are the same. In other word the machinces that say they have whole steps are actually half steps on the musical scale. If you are going from a key of C to a key of D you would go +2 on Hoster and the machine, because there is a C Sharp step in between. Consider that there are 12 notes (steps) in one octave. If you drop a song 7 "whole steps" according to what they are saying, then that would be 14 steps in Hoster or more than an octave. That can't be right.
As far as the differences between sounds of the changes that is going to happen, because of differences in electronics components or software code, depending on what type of karaoke "machine" you are talking about.
If they have a disc copy of the song with the key change they want sounding right to them and you have that song already on your computer then you should be able to just import it as a "Custom Assembly" brand so you can destinguish it changed. Just don't import any of their's that you don't already own.
Douglass,
I am talking about 7 half steps. But my point is that two machines I have from Acesonic does not have the same intervals as each other. In other words, if I use key change on one machine, say 2 down, the other machine at 2 down is not the same key as the first one. I know that some machines are whole step intervals and some are half step. I understand the difference in sounds due to the electronics which is really the most noticed in backround vocals. If you raise or lower the songs to much, the back round vocals don't sound realistic. I understand that I can import the cd but keep in mind as I mentioned, hoster is 5 and I need 6 or 7 in some cases. I can get their buy using key change as I explained above but it is to time consuming to do it on the job if I need to go lower than hoster's capability. I was just explaining what I was trying to achieve and how I was going about it. This is probably very unusual but I run into these request ocassionaly. I have a couple of singers that need key changes down much more than most. If hoster could drop 7 instead of 5, I wouldn't even be talking about this. I am sure MTU has a reason to limit it to 5 steps and I would guess that it is due to the effects on backround singers. I wish all the manufactures of karaoke equipment would follow the same standard with key changes. I think they should all be in half step intervals.

Walt