View Single Post
Old January 13th, 2010, 04:23 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird74 View Post
Walt, if you're like me you probably don't know the difference between a "C" & a "D". Many "real musicians" like Dale have explained these 6 steps to me this way - Because 6 steps is an "Octave, when a singer comes up & asks for something up or down 6 steps, I simply tell them to play in it's natural key & then use their "high or low" voice, accordingly. The average karaoke singer doesn't understand "keys" any better than I do but may have a good ear to sing on key, so this works without a lengthy explanation. And they usually thank me, too!
Skybird,

Thanks for your input but I do understand the difference between keys. Working as a professional KJ, I have a responsibility to try to accomodate my singers to the best of my ability and what is reasonable. I know that many are novices but many are very good and they know what key they need to sing in to cover the range of the song and give their best performance possible. To tell them to sing an octave lower or higher would be a grave injustice to them. If they know enough to bring their own disk or request key changes they obviously know they can't sing the song to their satifaction or with confidence in the normal key. I sing when I do my shows and I change the key to songs that I know will provide me with the best performance. If I go to another KJ's show and I decide to sing, I would only do so if I knew the key was going to be changed to my satisfaction. Please keep in mind, I am not talking about those singers that we all have attend our shows that can't carry a tune in a bucket. I am talking about people that are decent singers. Key change is a great tool and I know it has limitations. I was just explaining what I was trying to do to make the changes needed.

Thanks again,

Walt