View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2007, 01:01 PM
VIP

I prepared my songbooks by using Hoster's Songbook program, then formatting them in WordPerfect (Microsoft's Word will work too) so that each artist's name appears at the top of each column. Once I had the WordPerfect document formatted exactly as I wanted it, I converted it into .pdf format with a nifty little program I found on-line called PrimoPDF. and then I uploaded the .pdf file to the Lulu web site.

The cover art for the front and back covers, I created in a graphics program (Print Artist) then I converted that art into .jpg format and uploaded it to the Lulu web site. If you follow the steps on the web site, all you really have to do is upload those files and set a price.

Although, Lulu's retail price generator recommended a price of $35.00 for my books, I knew they wouldn't sell at that, so I set the price to $17.99 and I think that's fair.

Lulu only produces books to order, so you can build a book and do nothing with it or make it available for sale and see what happens. It costs nothing to set it up and Lulu only makes a commission on each book sold, so what's the harm? I believe this could be the new wave in Karaoke. I like being a trailblazer.

- Alan

NOTE: One word of warning, however you format your book is exactly what it will look like finished. In other words, any errors you make, will be transferred to your finished project. Double check your .pdf file before uploading it or your errors will appear in your final books.

Alan Ross

PRIMARY TEST MACHINE:
HP Compaq DC5100SFF
Windows XP Home SP3
Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz
2GB Ram
250G Hard Drive
Sound Device: SoundMax digital Audio