View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2003, 05:31 PM

Red face between a rock and a hard place

I don't generally like contests.

For the bar owner, they usually advertise there is a contest starting at 9:30 or all the ringers know it starts at 9:30. So the ringers come in at 9:30, sing their song and drink a free glass of water until the vote for the ca$h. (And no, I don't own a bar)

The regulars who have sung a couple of songs (and have been spending some money) have to wait until the contest is over to get back to their enjoyment and the ringers leave the bar.

I was at a bar in Burbank and they did their contest as a Karaoke Suicide. You put your name in the hat if you wanted a chance. They only drew 5 names out and those 5 people didn't get to pick what song they were singing. An interesting twist, but the "ringers" don't like that too well.

I think a variation of that would be good. You put your name in one hat, and the song you want to sing in the other. If your name is selected, you come up and choose your song out of the other hat. You might get lucky and pull the song you want...or maybe you get stuck with a Blonde tune.

Just a thought...I'm not a KJ, just like to go have a good time.