Thread: KIAA Membership
View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:28 PM

Yeah. I don't envy the KJs in Arizona and other parts of the US where they are being persecuted. I know here in Canada everyone is just keeping a low profile. As I said, the KJs here won't touch downloads because they don't want to get involved in the dispute. Anyone I know who does buy downloads uses them at home. Period.
Canada was and still is to some extent a battlefield for regular music downloads. Bringing music CDs through customs is even iffy as customs may sit on them for months and then demand a long list of fees that exceed the cost of the disks just to make sure that anyone who possibly may have missed being paid gets paid again. Much worse for karaoke CDs ans they usually don't know what to do with them.
If I were to buy downloads, the disk I would burn them on would pay artist fees again. Canada assumes that when you buy a blank CD that you will burn illegal music on them, so they include licensings fees for the presumed music in the cost of the CD. Those fees then get divided among all artists and manufacturs. The fact that they don't know who to pay for a given illegal song doens't matter as most purchased CDs are not used for illegal music. They collect and distribute at least 1000% of additional license fees.