Thread: Super CDGs
View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2004, 07:54 PM

Basically it's MP3G disc.

Jim,

A Super CDG is fundamentally a MP3G disc, as of a few weeks ago, this type of disk only worked on CAVS players that supports the Super CDG format. It appears that other players are trying to get into the game.

Several companies such as Nutek and Music Maestro, among others are producing this type of disk with as many as 1250 songs on a single disk (between $175 - $300 per disk) the players run around ($250 - $695)

The problem I see with this deal is you still have to carry disks that get damage, The sound quality could be compromised by excessive compression and a host of other reasons. Besides you may have only a few popular songs, meaning great songs may be divided among several disks forcing you, in effect to still having to make a large investment to be able to put on a decent show.

The jury’s still out on how successful theses disks/player will become. My prediction is "they could become" very popular in the amateur home karaoke party crowd.

I think the professional KJ will stick to what is becoming standard in the industry; a program such as Hoster, running the show from computers with the ability to play individually owned CDGs brought in by some customers

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jon

Last edited by jaddams; January 28th, 2004 at 08:00 PM.