View Single Post
Old January 13th, 2004, 04:07 AM

Talking My Opinion as to how good KeyRite is going to Get at $89.00

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Pherd[i] I checked under "About Keyrite" and it is:
Keyrite (TM) Professional Key Changer V2.0.0.8.
When I open a Wav file (Converted from Total Recorder, Musicmatch Jukebox or MP3-WAV) and drop it down to as little as a -1 and the music starts to "warble" It also sounds as if a lot of the low end of the bass guitar disappears. (Possibly from the in & out of phase produced by the warble) This makes for a very unpleasant sound. It is almost impossible to sing on key with this kind of warble going on. The loss of bass response also detracts from the overall sound

Pherd,

You mention on your post you are using music converted from Total Recorder, Musicmatch Jukebox or MP3-WAV. Total Recorder is more of a music capture software than a true recorder, in fact capturing streaming music from systems like Real Player, Windows media player was such poor quality that I find it difficult to create good recordings on any media. The latest release V4.4, just release does a much better job. Which version were you using?

MP3toWAV is another disaster when trying to create fine recordings.

We all know that MP3 is a compression technique which was develop by the MPGE group and it stands for MPEG-1 Audio Layer III

Just because MP3 sounds beautiful in our great billion phonics speaker system, does not mean it will transpose well on an electronic key changer be it an EAX console or MTU’s excellent KeyRite 2.008 whether that transposition is a simple minus or plus 1.

What is really happening when we are trying to extend or lower the range of a song we’re trying to sing sounding like a Enzio Pinza or a Soprano Pavarotti?
Of course we want to impress the audience and that gorgeous girl in the back row, yeah, the one sitting with the dork. So we quietly tell the KJ.

“Number 14, that’s Placido Domingo’s Nerssun Dorma and bring it down 10 steps please.”
The professional KJ doesn’t even flinch; he knows he can’t go -10 so he goes minus 5, when the music start and the piccolo sounds like a contrabassoon. What do we do?
We blame MTU! That’s it. Bad programming, lousy beta testers and I am out $89 bucks!

Are you looking for a perfect electronic key changer? Might as well play power ball you’ll have a better change at getting that one.
Kay Changers analog or digital depend of the correct and I mean correct combination of switches. Not just plain switches like the one you turn on when you get home. I am taking about electronic switches connected within each other not by wires but by mathematical integers.

Switches, both analog and digital are regularly used in sound systems to change low-level inputs or regulate audio filter uniqueness. Choosing the correct switch can help enhance the total harmonic distortion of a given system providing the designer of that system, has an unlimited budget. [b] I don’t think MTU is at this level, at least not yet, if they do, then tomorrow morning, I am going to start an MTU beta testers union and give Admin a contract and a demand for medical benefits, holidays and vacation pay.

Don’t drool guys, it’s not going to happen…

…yet.

The role played by this switches is critical in determining the quality of the signal passing through or being created by sound cards or other audio systems, so when designing audio programs the significance must be given to the selection of the proper components be use on the board’s electronics components.
The absolute and only correct way to transpose a musical composition without distortion is simply to obtain the arranger’s score, and using the old reliable music notation, physically to the transposition into another key.

Any workaround to this old proven system will result in some sort of distortion, in music theory, it’s called Harmonic Distortion Oh yes, electronic transposers will get very, very close. But never perfect!

The MPGE group, as I call them, decided a long time ago, though study of course, that the human, that’s us, is deaf below 20Hz and above 20Khz AND is most responsive between 2 to 4Khz , Maybe that’s why I don’t hear my wife most of the time! That’s a story for another day.

So when a file is converted from WAV to MP3, they eliminate what they think we cannot hear. However, when we convert this song back to WAV so we can use it in Karaoke AND increase or decrease a key, we find out that those key may really be needed to upset harmonic distortion.

Mlepine, all my favorite fellow beta testers and some of my not so favorite listen carefully. 2.008 is not going to get much better as it is today without:

1. Major recoding
2. long testing time, and
3. A major increase in price.

In my humble opinion, there is no way. 008 can get much better at this price. Frankly, I don’t see how Dave and his crew keep on delivering terrific coded programs at prices unheard of in the industry.

I do beta testing for some really heavy hitters. MTU beats them all in class, care of its customers and clean tight fast running code.

Believe me, Harmonic Distortion come in more flavors than Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream and each one has a particular equation to be solved.

When you change a key by electronic means, you are creating a distortion, then the program has to determine it corresponding new frequency for the corresponding notes which are called “harmonics” and these harmonics exists through multiple integers of the inputted signal. Change a 1Khz signal and you have to deal with all the integers of that signal.

Try doing that and then try it get your money back PLUS a small profit by selling a product for $89.00.

Frankly, I don’t know how MTU does it. And does it consistently well!

Want to know more about total harmonic distortion? Check any good sound card manufacturer’s web site.

Sincerely,

Jon

Last edited by jaddams; January 13th, 2004 at 11:57 AM.