View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2009, 02:37 PM

IMHO, the KIAA appears to have been organized by the producers of karaoke music whose main concern in to get KJs to inform on other KJs. sort of like the Brown shirts of Nazism or "big brother'. They have no other vested power authorized by anyone except to pursue this avenue of additional revenue protecting their own coffers by getting the KJs to report other KJs, and for many, this doesn't mean a ligitimate complaint. This is very dangerous territory for everyone. Not only can it result in prosecution of karaoke "pirates", but can become a mass of retaliation complaints by disgruntled employees, jealous KJs, and other KJ's wanting to get in on anothers turf. As was stated, you lose disc by accident, fire, or theft, and you are illegal, if you have no proof of purchase. How many of you kept your receipts or could pass the KIAA test as written????? Having a disc doesn't mean you purchase it legally, but is just accepted.
I see the KIAA as basically a vigilante group pursuing their own agenda (Look at their board) by encouraging the KJs to become KIAA informer. I don't see where they can accomplish anything for the KJ, but can see big benefits to themselves using informers.
SESAC is basically the same, but they do not pursue the military clubs beyond a letter asking them to pay, same with the fraternal orders. They will vigorously pursue the private club all the way to court and they pride themselves in never losing a case. I do not know of one single fraternal or military order that pays the fees and they are the biggest employer of musicians in this country. But I understand why they don't!!!
I cannot see any good coming out of this that will benefit me in anyway and i started using tracks when there were no words (graphics to the new breed of KJ).
muzicman144