View Single Post
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:39 PM

Legal/Illegal

Thanks to all who responded. It is about what i figured. I didn't think anyone would come on and say they pirated all their music. You guys, that are the front runners in this forum, that stepped up are really to be commended for your honesty. It is so hard these days with the easy access to files, or just losing a disc could make one "illegal".
SESAC seems to be the body today that's working these clubs for annual money for music played in our venues. I'm more concerned with their antics than i am with the "Karaoke Police". The fees they want to charge are just beyond the capability to pay of some small venues. I reallize that protecting a writer or singer's rights and assuring they will get paid for their work that is re-produced is necessary, but, i pay for the right to perform it when i buy the disc, and they also want to charge the club where i excercise that right.
This whole business of "protecting" the artist seems to be getting out of hand. Probably 85% of any money collected by any of the "artist protection" people is going to overhead and the artist only sees pennies.
I believe an artist's protection should be limited to material that is printed, recorded material, re-recorded material, and broadcast music.
muzicman144