Thread: Duplicate Songs
View Single Post
Old March 18th, 2004, 11:14 AM

Now here's a can of worms.
The only way to know if a song is really licensed would be to contact the company and ask them (not sure if they would actually tell you the license number). They have to have several different licenses to produce karaoke including re-print licenses. When karaoke companies apply for the licenses and receive a response they will get a license number that their rendition refers to. Those companies that are legit have to go through a lot of work to get them licensed. Sometimes the publishers won't respond in a timely manner to have companies release their music as fast as they would like to.
Also, sometimes, publishers will grant a license and then at a later date pull a license, or it could be the other way around, they don't grant a license and then two months later they are granted a license. I know Priddis didn't release their "Evanesence" cd until licensing was obtained (thats why it took them so long to get it out). Until about a year ago, FIPP (the publisher for Gloria Estefan) didn't allow licensing for karaoke. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to get these licenses. If licenses aren't applied for or received then basically the music is "illegal", but the manufacturer would be the one in trouble, not you who bought it from the manufacturer (because as far as you know they are licensed). My question is, why do some companies have songs that other companies can't get licensing for? i.e. Jewel songs without graphics/lyrics on Priddis because licensing was denied, but yet everybody else has it?
It seems to me the writers/publishers (and their lawyers) could pursue this further and get what they are allowed.
Does anybody know how much the royalties are per song, including syncing and lyrics licenses? John is right, the money does add up fast.
I'll get off my soapbox now.

Jimbo