View Single Post
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:11 AM

Still using ME...even now...

Hi, all!

I still use Microeditor on a daily basis for NSO and my radio work. I must use other packages as well to have a complete box of tools to accomplish all my goals, but MTU still gets the lion's share of my daily work. (One of the producers at WETA absolutely refuses to use anything else...until all the hardware ultimately dies, anyway.)

Dave writes:
Jim, I don't want to start a word war cause I don't have the time, but you forgot how much time we spent trying to go to the 24-bit wave format. Chas Lawson was the main pusher on that as I recall. He's the initiator of this thread... about National Symphony Orchestra. The 24-bit SF format didn't work on many of the tests we ran. We had part of it, but the rest and interfacing with other gear wouldn't fall in line.

It was the industry, not I particularly, who was pushing for 24-bit. For classical music, 24-bit is the minimum required to handle the music. It's just physics. Without 24-bit, I would have been forced to abandon MTU a long time ago. (However, even MTU at straight 16-bit is still a remarkable sounding system...besting some of the other products found in many big studios today.)

I was able to import/export MTU 24-bit files with other programs pretty handily thanks to Larry having written the format according to IEEE standards. This allows me the editing freedom of MTU bundled with the processing available in other systems. (I have described the steps in one or more of the threads here. It's not hard to do.)

I am not bitter about how things worked out—just disappointed that MTU wasn't able to rule the industry way back when. Other programs are just now catching up to what Dave and company had mastered in the late 80s/early 90s. We can't always get what we want.

Gotta run back to the Kennedy Center now. More later if I can manage it...

Best to all,

Chas.