View Single Post
Old February 11th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Frequent Member

Three Very Serious Questions...

I'm pretty disturbed not only by the tone of admin responses to a couple of Geg's posts, but also by the specifics, because they directly effect the ways I am attempting to keep using MicroEditor during the time of its impending obsolescence. There are also some details in response to other posts that concern me. I'll list them here:

1)"XP is crap!" "Don't use new hardware!".....

....The problem with this is so obvious. We HAVE to use XP. We HAVE to use newer, faster hardware. That is the whole point of writing the program so that it could be used with XP, which I personally find works way better than any OS since 3.1 (once you clean it up).....We need to be able to use Medit in the modern environment that allows us to share files with other programs, ideally all living on the same computer......Are you telling us that we can't do this?....My Pentium 166 is still chugging along, but presents a lot of issues with interactivity, speed, storage space and available hardware and software and I am going to have to retire it very soon......If this response was just frustration on the admin's part, it was not very productive.

2)"Make a 10 hour project...." Now, I know that, up to and including the 5.2 or so I have installed on the aforementioned P166, you could not, at least with time code implemented, have a project over about 3 hours long. I tested this again last year, and verified it because, again, it raises a problem when attempting to share files with a time code-based HD recorder like the MX2424 or Nuendo or anything else that gives you essentially a 23 hour timeline.

Has something changed? Will I be able to have a very long time line with time code in 5.5?......My queries about this last year were not responded to.

3)"We ship with NTFS formatting...."
All the tests in Nuendo land I have seen indicate that, despite some other advantages with NTFS, there are no real audio performance advantages over FAT32.....The MX2424 uses FAT32, so I am tending to format my newer computers in FAT32.

The question then, is: Are there any issues with Medit, Krystal, etc. when it comes to using either file system?