View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Here is where I was a little more scared than dumb.
What do I look for in the comparison to other windows files. If the windows files are compressed do I de-compress them. If they are not I assume I leave them alone?

and...why not just decompress the whole drive as it shouldn't touch uncompressed files anyway; or does it?

Looking through 217,800 files to see which ones are compressed and which ones are not may take 100 years.
If the Folder in the Windows Directory of the "Uncompressed" drive is blue (compressed) leave it compressed in this one.
No it will not do anything to uncompressed files. If you uncompress the whole drive then it will uncompress files that are supposed to be compressed (such as the Windows Uninstall folders and will take far more room than it originally did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant
Also, what about the files that are colored because they are encrypted but not necessarily decompressed at the time I did all this. Will decompressing those files mess things up?

Also, there were 100's of folders in the windows directory most folders' names were blue in color, but within them there were some black filenames.

In fact I created a new wordperfect file put it in a new folder and both the folder name and the filename was blue in color. How could that be (get) compressed.

Is that color coding thing accurate in the first place?
I don't know about you but I don't encrypt any of my files and no uncompressing files will not unencrypt any files if you have some.
Some files in the Windows folder cannot be compressed even if you tell XP to do so, because those files are actively being used at the time and access to them is denied.
Just because you turned off compression at the drive level does not turn it off at the directory level until you change it. So creating a file at this point will still create compressed files in the folder.
And yes the color-coding thing is accurate.