View Single Post
Old October 27th, 2001, 04:36 PM
Frequent Member

Nuendo seems a mixed bag

---I don't yet have any direct Nuendo experience (I'm still toying with a new computer configuration and recovering from a slow money period), but 2 colleagues have given me a little insight that might be useful:

1. Billy Wolf, a long-time folk/bluegrass guru (check out the latest Seldom Scene album) and respected mastering engineer, was talking with me a while back and said that his experiences with Nuendo were positive, but that he realized that he had to convert files to 32bit before mixing them etc. for the sound to keep from being degraded....He says that the program does not do this automatically. Billy would be a very good person to talk tech with about Nuendo, and he's only one exit away from you, Chas.

2. Bill Plummer, my mixing/recording/production partner for all of the DVDs I've been working on, has his Nuendo rig up and running. He tried a full mix on one of the St. Lucia recordings we're working on (Clark Terry or Eric Benet...don't remember which he said)(somewhere between 24 and 48 tracks of 24bit material) and was very displeased with the results....felt it was compressed sounding. When he dumped the tracks out of his computer into his digital mixer (in his case, the DA7) everything opened up again....Now, I should say that he did not heed my advice from Billy about converting everything to 32bit files, so I don't know that he would have felt the same had he done this....He does like Nuendo, and contemplates using it to create "stems" to cut down on the number of tracks fro the final mix.

I am taking both of these comments to mean that my intended use of Nuendo, which is pretty limited, is probably correct, and sort of follows what a lot of people are doing with Pro Tools: They are using it for track fixing and processing, then feeding it out at unity to their console of choice for the mix...I am looking at it in the same general way....I still like mixing on a mixer, and, as long as I stay in the digital domain, I haven't been able to find anything wrong with the mixer I'm using (02R). Since I'm set up for 64plus tracks of mixing, I'm not as worried about stems.

I have spent a little time looking at my partner's rig, and it seems very useful and intuitive for a lot of multitrack functions....Scrolling waveforms, good nondestructive editing, easy access to plug-ins, etc.....But I still only see it as an adjunct to the other tools, probably more for its auto-conform/OMF capabilities than anything else, and nothing, including Nuendo, is getting me excited about editing away from MicroEditor.

Therfore: FILE SHARING, FILE SHARING!

This is where everything is headed, and I'm probably more interested in loading files back and forth from the MX2424 then from Nuendo.

Could someone from MTU think about and address the several questions I raised a couple of replies up from this one? This is serious stuff, and I don't think it's necessarily that hard to address for someone who is better with code than I am.