View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Lauraine Graham- with the Lord Lauraine Graham- with the Lord is offline

I would like to put in my tuppenceworth, if I may.

It is my experience that far too many KJs would not know a good balance if it came up and bit them somewhere where it hurts. When I do come across one that does I rejoice, and furthermore I let them know I appreciate the effort of their setting up properly and making sure the sound check is thorough. I also agree with George about the "music" and other noises in films being too loud, but that is another subject!

I agree with the vast majority of comment throughout this thread thus far. Especially the bit about once a KJ has set up he/she thinks that putting on the patron's disc is the only thing left to do, apart from collecting the money at the end of the evening, of course. A KJ is part of the entertainment, but a bad one can ruin perhaps the only night out for a week (or even longer) of a good portion of the clientelle.

It has not always been an advantage having once been a professional entertainer; one notices things which might otherwise have gone unobserved. Having said that, it is a source of constant joy and surprise just how much the general public knows and notices, how high their standards and how talented so many of them are. One always has to bear the irritation of the clowns who only get up when when they are nearly falling down drunk, but it has nearly always been worth it to hear the rest.

Good KJs are worth their weight in gold and I truly appreciate those I come across, as do the vast majority of patrons, and it is a wise venue manager who recognises these, and looks after them!

Having said all that the patron should also respect the KJ and the equipment. Some people can be extremely boorish and it takes much skill in handling them in the right way.

best wishes