View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
We have that problem on occasion. Usually it doesn't turn into a problem, but they do not give any free refills anymore, charge for all drinks - including water. If someone is not drinking they are asked to leave at the bartenders discression.
I have made the suggestion to several in the past & have actually seen it in action at a couple places.
$5 token purchased at the door. It's not a cover charge as this token can be redeemed for $5 in either food or drink. The ones that were planning on spending money don't gripe because they get their $5 back to buy their drinks. The water sippers have at least paid SOMETHING to be able to sit & sing. Yes it may drive them away - but a non-spender is taking up a potential spenders seat, or it may get them to start buying a little more.
I've never heard of the token idea, but it sounds like a GREAT one! Jim, I'm a soda drinker, with the VERY seldom alcoholic drink. HOWEVER, I tip the bartender for EVERY cola I get!! (I usually will order at least one appetizer or dish - if food is served.) I'm always respectful to the server. Because I do understand that owners and their employees need to make money and they aren't there for S&G. Now, I have been at places that require a "minimum" per person, and it's usually a small number like five or ten dollars. As a customer, if I TRULY like the establishment and the show, then I don't mind spending the minimum. I'd gladly spend it in show of support. If people complain, then they really just don't get it, and you don't want them any way. But, I find that I've never had a problem with a bar or the staff because I can down a good 10-15 colas in a 4-6 hour show!

Now, marklwood, I'd be interested in your thoughts on customers like myself. Because I've been to bars where the owner has said something because I don't buy ALCOHOL. I've even "accepted" alcoholic drinks from men and passed them over to a friend because I want them to make money. But, soda and food cost money too... so I guess I don't see what the problem is. I understand that more money is made from alcohol, but the mandatory alcohol is a ludicrous rule! What do you think?