View Single Post
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:50 PM
VIP

Re: New place to gig on Thursday, but Sun/Tue. bar owner doesn't seem to like the ide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Dennis View Post
I agree with Musicman51, I think you are rather fortunate to have had a 2 nights a week for 5 years at the same establishment.
It is perfectly alright to work else ware but not if it is in direct competition with your regular gig.
Just my opinion.

Roy.
But I've also had 4 nights a week at three different places for the same five years. All these places are aware of the others as well. Just adding a Thursday as part of my retirement income.

Your rationale, as I understand it, would mean that a DJ could, and would, only work at one place, i.e., all bars are competition for all other bars at some point.

Also, let's remember that bar #1 has several things going on at his place on Thurs. nights, upstairs band or DJ, musician during supper hours, hiphop DJ downstairs, and full resauraunt and two bars open till 1 am. I am not competing with THOSE customers at all. Again, as i've stated before, it's the thinning out of my regulars over three nights and him thinking that I will be worth less, even though it is well known to him, the bartenders, and ALL the patrons that go On Sun. and Tue. that I do WAY more than other KJ's in the area do, and I do WAY more there than I do at other places too, e.g., make sure all customers can sing any song they've ever requested, take pictures, show slide shows over three large screens, interact with them (many patrons often leave me "unsolicited" tips in my hand), dance music with videos all by request in between singers on slow nights (not many slow lately though).

Last edited by bryant; March 9th, 2010 at 06:58 PM.