View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2002, 06:20 PM

talent quest controversy

Well I do tend to think there is good and bad to talent quests. Our Friday nights have been for over 11years now, in one place, i.e. we have performed shows for approx 570 nights at one place. Each year we run between 2 and 3 talent quests (12 weeks long....i.e. 24 to 36 weeks out of the year in talent quest mode). Most Friday nights we are playing to between 300 and 500 people. We believe our success is due to, firstly us..and our system....we run a 3000 watt (RMS) sound system, Ken mixes from centre floor, I run the stage with, two 3-tray players (so I can cue ready). We also have a laptop computer set up by the mix, so as the singer is leaving the stage they hear themselves instantly played back through the speakers.

Most singers that get up and sing.....sing because they love it.....and they are serious about singing "right", so I am there if they want advice on how they sound after they've sung.....occassionally I sing in their ear for a few lines until they get the hang of a song.

Sometimes we do get people who come in from out of town just because there is a talent quest, but once a person has won a talent quest, they can't enter another one at the Club for the next two competitions.

So as far as talent quests being a quick fix.....and not a longivity thing......I don't agree.......we are proof, that us, equipment and talent quests (for half the year) "combination" is what works......11yrs in one place is more than just coincidence.

Leanne