View Single Post
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:46 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnkarl View Post
Well, I've been told (by a blowhard) that there is a mixer that will automatically adjust the singers voice so he/she will sound a lot better than the would normally. I can only do so much with my mixer which is ok but when I'm busy, it would be nice to be freed up from this.....So, is it true they make something....been looking and no luck.

Plus, anyone use the Sabine mixer w/feedback eliminator??
If there is a magic board like that I haven't heard of it. The ONLY thing I can think of is MAYBE one of the Yamaha MG boards that have compression built into the mic channels that can be adjusted. Compression will help smooth out the vocals so when you get a screamer it will keep the volume of the voice more in check instead of getting crazy loud.
I would use the Sabine FB Eliminator over anything else, however in most cases it just isn't needed. What causes feedback the most is improper speaker placement, improper gain structure on the mixer & people sticking the mics too close to the speakers. A Feedback Eliminator will aid, but can also do more harm to the overall sound - especially if any of the 3 main causes are in place because what a FBE unit does is sense the feedback & then slices out that particular frequency until it stops. Well all that is going to happen now is another frequency will start to feed, it pulls that one out as well. Someone gets too close to the speaker & it might pull 4 or 5 frequencies - by this time there are about 6-7 frequencies pulled out, the sound is not longer very good.
Good speaker placement, better mic control (you can teach people) & better gain structure on the mixer is the main place to start. After that I would opt for a good dual 31 band eq & try to ring out problem frequencies or easy way, get a dbx DriveRack with RTA mic & set the room up automatically.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB