View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2009, 04:52 PM

Hi Captankarl, glad to see you in the forums showing such a great interest in wireless microphones. Microphones are one of my favorite subjects, as i am a devote, and collector of microphones, and i read everything i can about them. I mostly enjoy retro style ribbon mics. Now, i just want to give a little different perspective, and add just a little bit to what has already been said. This is my opinion only, and may not work for you. I am in no way an expert, or sound engineer. I do have a nice studio in my home, and work sound for our church, and other venues around these parts. Now...taking a chance here, i will simply say, if i were you, i would not run right out and buy a Sure SM58 or BETA58 wireless system, which would cost you mucho bucks. I am using a simple entry level shure wireless system. The reason i did this, is because Shure wireless microphones, are upgradable, and the ball ends are field replaceable. And of course, depended on where you are located, simple to operate. I started out using an AKG system that uses two AA batteries. I got close to 30 hours out of a set of cheap batteries. These mics sounded great, i had a chance to sell them for just about what i had in them, so i did..a big mistake. I ordered 3 Shure wireless systems 2 mics each, with the PG58 transmitters, These work just great as well. But, they eat 9 Volt barttries, i will touch on batteries in a moment. Unlike my AKG systems,these shures will keep you broke buying batteries. But what is nice about the shures, is the tops can be upgraded. So.....you guessed it, i went and ordered a Beta58 mic capsule. In an A-B test with my PG58's, i must say, i hear, my singers hear, and my friends hear very little difference {ducking and running out of the room in a hurry}. Again, just my opinion. Certainly not worth the giant leap in price. My little PG58's sound every bit as good as my beta does. A shure engineer i spoke with on the phone, tend to agree with me. And..if someone drops a PG58, i cry less. And i just hate the old "Adage" "oh..you want a cheap mic just for karaoke right?" Man that gets my goat. I try to make everyone sound as very best as they can, with the resources i have available. Although i do sound wise prefer a wired microphone over a wirless. Not to get off topic, but i have helped fella's cure their microphone problems with even expensive mics, with just a little better EQing, and in extreme cases, a Microphone Preamp. If your mics are working good for you, and are reliable, why switch? there are other less expensive alternatives, that might bring about the results you're looking for. An expensive microphone, may not sound any fuller at all, and sound just as thin. Just a thought. In fact {ducking again}, my friend Roger, purchased 4 Behringer XM58's wired mics from musician friend. I A-B'ed these mics to my Shure SM58, and wired Audix OM2. The Behringer was hotter, clearer, built just as tough, and only cost $19. The cheaper Behringer XM58's also have over 240 positive reviews on musicians friend website... So more expensive may not be better.
Now as far as batteries are concern. It really doesn't make any difference how many singers you have a night. Between singers, i very seldom turn off my wireless transmitter {microphone}. I do once in a while put it on standby..but most generally just leave it on for my next friend to come up and use. I have found my wireless uses just as much current on standby, as it does on leaving it on. And if you have time to turn it off and back on between every singer that comes up, then great. But i doubt you will save that much battery life. A battery has to last an entire evening, sometimes, you just have to change it during the night, but i never have to, even with the current sucking shures i use. No, what has actually worked for me, is buying a cheap battery, then tossing it after the evening is over. I buy them by the bulk. And if you use a 9volt battery, don't waste your money on an expensive rechargeable battery system.
These are just some of my own experiences, i in no way as i said, am a expert, i'm a practicing baptist hillbilly as a matter of fact. And what i have found to work, works for me. Now, just some fun facts about wireless mics. Did you know you're suppose to have a broadcast license to operate one? How many of you actually have a license, i don't? Did you know, with the government taking over our airwave freqs, and switching broadcast television to digital, we will be losing some of our wireless frequencies, and the use of wireless mics, and home transmitters may be changed in many ways? Did you know yes you most certainly can operate two identical wireless microphones on the very same freq at the very same time??? Enjoy karaoke, and thank god for MTU making our jobs, and hobbies easier..... God Bless You & Yours, George

Last edited by Musicman51; March 1st, 2012 at 10:22 PM.