View Single Post
Old June 27th, 2002, 09:29 PM

Re: Karaoke Spigot is pretty decent for beginners

[quote]Originally posted by Scoob7809
[b]I use Karaoke Spigot to do my songbooks, and use Microsoft Access 97 to edit the master database....

Interesting, I too started out with the Karaoke Spigot, I also happen to live in the same area as the one who markets it (Biff Mele'). But not liking the limitation of the original software, (it was originally done with Access 4), I converted it, and wrote my own front end to it, plus added a lot more features. As I am a Database designer (I use Access 2002 developer version extensively) and I am also a Crystal Reports writer (I do work for the Department of State), and use Crystal all day long. I put together quite a nice little utility for creating my songbooks, and purchase the periodic updates from Biff. I figured it was worth it for me NOT to type all that stuff in. I have found quite a few errors in the database, but I can live with it as I bring in each new CD, I can correct the flaws on the fly, if need be.

When I found out that Brian (Cox) was working on the Karaoke Pro (hoster) system, at the time, he had no definite plans to incorporate songbook printing with the hoster software. I offered to provide a polished up version of my Database for use with the hoster software, and in the process, provide an updated version of the Karaoke Spigot (with permission from Biff, of course) but he later informed me he was going to provide a songbook capability with Hoster, so I didn't do any further polishing up of my software. I am now waiting for Hoster (as I am sure we all are). He did promise to make the database portion of it compabible with Access format (I hope that is still the case) as several of us wanted to be able to write our own utilities for it.

And in one of my posts, I did mention I would most likely provide it for free, if I developed any. Might even write some Crystal Reports addins for it. We'll see what the next few months will bring us.

Waiting patienlty (no, not really, I want it!)
emwalter