View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:45 PM
Frequent Member

Re: A twist on the perspective

Quote:
Originally posted by jahern
I often sing my songs in at least the style of the genre if not the style of the artist. Sometimes, however, I know that I can only pull the song off credibly if I radically change something. I developed a sort of "Screaming Lunatic" style when I decided to do "Livin' La Vida Loca" I got several good comments from people who appreciated the different style.

Imagine my dissapointment when a Karaoke host would prep the audience with "We couldn't get Ricky Martin here tonight so Joe will stand in for him"

I wasn't there imitating Ricky Martin and I resented the implication. Sometimes, like doing a Marc Anthony Salsa song, I have to change the key to the extreme, 3 to 4 half-steps. I hate when the host talks about stepping in for Marc Anthony. It is not going to sound at all similar.

But the host has his or her needs and I have mine.
As a host I never anounce the singer as immitating a singer but doing their own version of the song. that way the entire crowd does get surprised if the singer actually sounds like that artist. But I have been introduced as Garth Brooks or Steve Perry before.