View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2007, 07:26 AM
VIP

I use an audio editing and mastering software program by Steinberg called WaveLab. There are lots of other (much less expensive) progs that will do the job - I think this one may be able to do it. I'm not personally familiar with it but this looks like a good place to start looking:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity

Today I recorded the contents of an old 33.1/3 rpm record to my HD using WaveLab.
To do this all I do is connect the record player to my Amp which has an audio output connected to an input on my Creative Audigy2 external i/o Sound Module.
(Actually I think this sound card comes with everything you need to do what you want - however because I have WaveLab I don't use these tools. It also comes with some very informative and detailed manuals on Music Creation etc.)
I also have another little gadget called PowerWave - a USB Audio Interface & Desktop Amplifier. It's a very small but remarkable device by Griffin Technology. This is what it does:
Archive records and tapes to make MP3s or CDs
Record instruments or voice into your PC
Connect and power any set of home stereo speakers
Use as a standalone amplifier for iPod/MP3 player
Zero latency monitoring for multitrack recording

You might like to take a look at this program too:
http://www.acoustica.com/spinitagain...ign=sia-banner

Quote:
Spin It Again™ 2.1 New! What's new in version 2?

The Easy Way to Convert Your LPs and Cassettes to Clean, Digital Recordings. Remember all those 'oldies but goodies'? They just don't make those classic vinyl LPs and cassette tapes on CD. Well, dust off your old 33's, 45's & 78's, because Acoustica's new software, Spin It Again™, can easily record any vinyl LP to CD or cassette to CD. Not only will our software make the whole recording and track dividing process child's play, but it will also dramatically clean your recordings by getting rid of click and pop record noise, or by removing hiss and hum off old cassettes. You can also record your LP collection and cassettes to your iPod or portable MP3 player! So let your music come to life and Spin-It-Again™! If you have a Windows computer with a soundcard you're ready to use our software!
I guess that should keep you going for a while!

MikeP