View Single Post
Old June 14th, 2008, 06:23 PM

Smile Charge The Singers?

I guess I don't understand why you would charge the patrons instead of the venue.......They are making money because the people want to more music and are willing to stay there and spend more money...I realize karaoke is different all over.. just trying to understand it...We do things a little bit different around here although it is a smaller venue area for us.. usually offer the venue first time deal and if they want to book again.. they know your real asking price.. but around here the venues are very generous if they make more money.. so if i charge $200 that is for the entire 4 hours of the show... but if i go into a venue that have other kj's or dj's there I generally charge the same price...as far as the cut off list.. depending on how many singers I generally allow about 20 min to 1/2 hour cut off... It's cool to hear from other kj's and how they do things.. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbi View Post
Hi, Everyone...I'm in Southern California...been doing shows for 17 years and always being very particular about my sound system and equipment... and by always updating the library... has acquired me quite a following! Here are a few suggestions...First have faith in yourself, you're worth the money!...And have the respect for the rest of the KJ's out there trying to make a decent living for themselves and their families! So keep pace on the pay with the other KJ's...we all need to stick together! Anyone will take advantage of you, if you let them!
Okay...here are some suggestions and ways that I've acquired gigs. For Sunday thru Thursday's I'll pitch the owner that I will do 3 hours for $150.00, then if the customers want me to stay, I do a Pay-to-Play, where I charge them (the customers) $5.00 a song, for over-time. (Remember the 80's where the Roxy started to make the Bands "Pay-to-Play")? Anyways...you have to learn and estimate where to cut off your list (around 30 to 60 minutes depending on how long the list is) and make announcements as to when your show is officially over and the Pay-to-Play begins (so they don't get mad because they already put their name on the list or turned in their slip). So it's $150.00 for 3 hours...then go to over-time, where you will make up what you deserve to earn. Then, over time, depending on how you promote...your show should acquire a good following and you can ask for a $25-$50 raise (still for the 3 hours) and still do the over-time! I can come home with $250.00 plus on a week night!
On week-end (Fri. & Sat.), I charge $250.00/4hrs. However, just starting a new gig...tell the owner your $250.00 price, then suggest something better for them (people always like a deal).... such as $200.00 for a 3 1/2 hour show... then tell them you do this Pay-to-Play thing, where the customers pay you to stay....The owner no longer has to pay you any more money, the Bar is still making money, you (the KJ) is making money and everybody's happy! When it gets real busy, then you can ask for a raise there!
Promote alot, so you can get the Following!!!! That's your Amo.
Note: In order for it to work, you must really establish the Pay-to-Play thing with your customers. Let them know it's coming and at what time you change over! Just remember the more people you let sing beyond where you start the Pay-to-Play, you're just cutting into your own profit!
Also, you can charge whatever you choose for over-time. In the beginning (over 10 years ago), I charged $3.00 a song. Be patient and nice....if you choose to do it.....
It works Great for me!
Best wishes to you All!!!!!!
Debbi

P.S. Private Party's are $150.00 to $250.00 per hour, depending on how many people, distance, stairs, just DJ, or DJ/KJ, etc. I may have to bring more equipment than most party's and also pay my help! Wedding's start... for the very basic... at $695.00 on up!