View Single Post
Old October 13th, 2002, 03:20 PM

Hi Lauraine,

Quote:
It is my understanding that when one buys a CDG one has been licensed to publicly perform all the songs thereon, otherwise what is the point? Does one just admire the disc as a work of art?
You are right again! The karaoke CDG companies especially Sound Choice must think it's their own artwork! The real truth is that they're just copy cats of the real ARTISTS not unlike a cover band. I hope Sound Choice is fairly compensating the original artists on their CDG's. The original artists would be smart to make their own karaoke CDGs from the original recordings. Many of the multi-track recordings are still available and would be simple to remove the lead vocals to make a CDG. You could even create instrument karaoke on DVD using the dolby digital decoding to pick and choose vocals and instruments.

Quote:
Regarding copies; software companies always advise backing up their product in order to use the copy and safely store the original. However, I don’t think that the CDG producing companies like our backing up their products.
Exactly but the CDG producing companies don't write the copyright laws either. In the case of Sound Choice, I'm just waiting for a huge backlash against these rednecks from up in the hills. Again, they don't write the laws and karaoke companies and stores exagerate the applicable laws to scare us while lining their pockets.

Quote:
You carry on taking your own discs and KJs please continue allowing your patrons to use their own discs, assuming as one has to that they have come by them legally. It can only enhance your show by adding variety and patron satisfaction. It also means that you will not be asked to purchase the disc on which this particular song is included, therefore it is cheaper for you.
Lauraine, it's not the KJ who really cares about this is it? It's the CDG companies and karaoke stores who so afraid they might lose some dollars (or pounds) that are threating the KJ's into submission with their own unique (incorrect) interpretation of the copyright laws.

Case in point: Mugs and Jugs Karaoke Bar in Clearwater was warned to NOT accept a singers copy of a CDG or they could be raided and all their karaoke equipment confiscated. I was told that the local karaoke store made this threat.

Steve

Last edited by SteveWalker; October 13th, 2002 at 08:41 PM.