View Single Post
Old July 2nd, 2011, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Re: Running Songverter AFTER importing ZIPs as KMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgumshoe View Post
The reason I am wanting to decompress and recompress is for my clients. I have been helping various establishments with their karaoke and I've been recommending Hoster.

With my library, this isn't necessary because I know the proper compression ratio to use so that my files don't get kicked back by the software and crash.

Overly compressed ZIP files have shown to crash Hoster and other software. My clients ZIPs are not under my control, so I don't know that they have properly zipped them up... when I run into a situation where Hoster is crashing and I can't find any other reason, I test the zips and have found that if they are overly compressed, then they get spat out.

Does HOSTER 5.1 resolve this problem? I'm about to work on a new clients karaoke system and have recommended Hoster, over all others, and again I worry that they zip files they have may have some overly compressed files and need modification.
Thanks for recommending Hoster!

Hoster 5.01 has a demo you can download and try, but do it soon as we expect to release 5.02 next week with its new demo (nothing changed related to ZIPs).

It is my understanding that we solved the "Max" ZIP compression problem many releases back. Your complalint is the first I remember in years.

What Hoster version are you running that you KNOW doesn't handle Max compressed ZIP files?

BAD ZIP files won't play under any condition. We have 13 "error traps" in Hoster to catch known "bad" states within ZIPs so they aren't indexed in the Songs Database. We haven't had any ZIP files reported for years with a "bad" state Hoster doesn't catch.

Songverter will unzip Max compressed files and re-compress them with the normal "high" compression, making these ZIP files play correctly. Again, haven't heard of this problem for years.

If you find a "bad" ZIP file, please get contact MTUSUPPORT (use a Support Ticket is best) and get it to us with a clear statement of what you are seeing. If we can duplicate the problem, we'll solve it in Hoster 5.03.