View Single Post
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Blocked From MTU.Community

I sure agree with a lot of what Geezer says here. Clearly in Adobe-land that was the case, a be-all, end-all suite. But they seem to have shifted their mindset now as regards Audition at least - and seem inclined now to develop it more stand-alone for pro audio serious use. I think they see there's a big enough market that way for them as opposed to trying to integrate it more into their suite.

A lot of the posts I see at www.audiomastersforum.net (which still has lots of old Syntrillium info too) seem to be from Europe (partic UK) and Australia. I know Adobe reads that forum and so maybe that's part of it too.

Yes, native and yes file interchange. Izotope and quite a few others do their processing 64 bits internal, using floating point. Don't know how Waves handles things internally, just like some of what their stuff does (the de-essers in particular!). They are def. behind the curve about Vista lately, but no surprise there since Digi and its variants are too -- (M-Audio, etc). Next audio interface I'll likely try is a Presonus Firepod. I have a Digi 002 rack unit gathering dust (almost never run Pro Tools) but no Vista ASIO drivers for it yet.

That's amazing about that little program you used.

The machine I've been messing with for testing new de-noising and other things is a rather low-end (these days) HP prebuilt bought as a refurb. For many years I would not use prebuilts for anything audio, though we have a couple for general biz use. I've found better pricing than direct from HP at resellers, better selection too. HP supports for 90 days direct though.

But this thing was under $400, and is a Pent D dual core 3.0gHz with 1.5 gigs RAM, a 320 gig SATA2 hard drive, what seems to be an OEM Plextor optical drive, and Windows Vista Home Premium. (prob cheap because a Pent D dual core is older tech than the current Core2 Duo). I bought with the idea of using Audition 3 when it comes on the thing, since Adobe's specs seem to favor Intel over AMD in terms of their stuff being happier with it. This "old model" indicates it dates way back to April, 2007.

And surprisingly pretty decent parts-drive is a Seagate Barracuda 10 for instance. I could not have bought even lower-end parts for the price. To be sure, some things are lacking-- it really should have a bigger pow supply than 300w (and once the 90 days are up, it will get one), and comes with various bloatware like Norton pre-installed, which is when I learned about the removal tool in a forum somewhere. The onboard analog video ain't the greatest and won't support dual monitors, but it does have a PCIe16 slot, so I'll pick up a lower end DVI and VGA card (one that isn't a power hog) for it.

Native SPDIF coax out and in, too. (also onboard 5.1 outs via a Realtek HD chipset on the Asus m/board.) I might revert the thing to XP, bought a spare copy of it, not a bad idea before it maybe gets discontinued or whatever!

The Sony stuff (and Wavelab too) intrigue me, will def check 'em out. I think most of the "Forge" team is still at what became Sony Software (in Wisconsin, isn't it?). Too bad in Sony-land that they did shut the NYC studios though. There was a huge auction in early Sept of a lot of the stuff. Heard the building will be torn down for more Manhattan high-end condos- like so many others have been.

Restoring an old Medit project here from DDS3 carts and it's barking to give it some attention, so gotta go.