Thread: Dipping my toe
View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2006, 09:17 AM

Talking Your Million Dollar Residence ala Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike
You can build a million dollar home in a hunded thousand dollar neighborhood but that doesn't mean you'll ever get any where near a million dollars for it.

It doesn't matter what your expenses are, you are only worth what the market is willing to pay. Start lining up those nursing homes

Sam
My Dear Sam

Million dollar home in hundred thousand neighborhgood???? Of course you will, in most communities thats called Gentrification, it's done all the time, Ask Donald Trump

I disagree very strongly, It does matter what your expenses are! Thats what dictates what your minimum charges should be in order to have your baseline covered. Thats part of a good business plan, and without it you'll surely fail.

How can you even think that your value in your chosen industry (no matter what industry may be) if you're self-employed is dictated by "what the market is willing to pay"?

Your value is self determined!

When I was teaching Stained Glass work, my competitors were giving classes to teach the craft for $25 - $50. When I opened my shop everyone told me that was all I should charge, 2 weeks later I placed a $50.00 ad in a local advertiser. A simple two line ad "Stained Glass Instruction limited enrollment 7 openings left. $250.00
My First class had 22 students, and the back end sales after class completetion averaged $400 - $600 per student with continued on going sales of equipment and supplies. Meanwhile the $25 - $50 folks where slowly folding their tents and leaving the fields. I continued to "bring in the sheaves" until my life, shop and home where destroyed by a major fire. But the point is ....IF YOU'RE SELF EMPLOYED THE MARKET NEVER DECIDES WHAT YOU ARE WORTH UNLESS YOU DECIDE TO PERMIT IT

Oh Yeah! Those nursing/retirement homes???? Just imagine how many parties, weddings, graduations etc I might obtain because the relatives think to themselves " Let give this guy a play Mom/Dad had such a good time and he was kind enough to entertain at the home for free, and even if I never get a single booking from that veneue, what the hech it'll make me feel real good.

So you see Dear Sam " if you bargin with life for a penny ....truly life will pay no more" And therefore you, not the market plsace have determined your own value

Warmest Regards
Glen