View Single Post
Old March 10th, 2001, 12:36 AM

BE CAREFUL when copying to the default sound files. Don't forget that the EFX, "combine group" and "burn edits to segment" commands add material to these default files and you can eat them up VERY quickly--especially if you're doing extensive 24-bit work as I am. Once you hit that 2-gig limit unexpectedly, you have to do some footwork to get out of the jam.

One way to work around this Microsoft-imposed limit is to create a new project, append your old project(s) to the new one and continue working with the brand new default files created for the new (combined) project. You may do this ad infinitum it seems to me and it's pretty handy for post-production. Unfortunately, the technique is of no help when trying to record long, uninterrupted 24-bit material.

SEK'd Samplitude claims to have managed a seamless way around the 2-gig limit by spanning audio files. I'd love to see MTU do something similar. It would help me greatly when recording long-form hi-res concert material. I think it will be essential to implement this file-spanning workaround if MTU ever plans to support 96Ks/sec or higher...

Chas.

--
Charles Lawson
Recording & Production Engineer
WETA Radio/Television, Washington, DC