View Single Post
Old September 2nd, 2002, 07:13 PM
Blocked From MTU.Community

Hi Jeff,

1. True about limit being 16 bits using the i/o module. The digital interface for it was designed before 24 bit took hold.

2. AES/EBU record and monitor question:
I'm not sure monitoring via AES/EBU will cure the startup click
which (I think) is because the input is searching for a valid clock to sync to. I'll try it that way (I probably have done it but don't remember offhand) and get back to you.

I put up with the lockup noise all the time, and it usually doesn't cause me a problem. Usually I'll mute the analog inputs at my board or use a dim function on the board for the monitors.
I've seen/head the same thing with other devices, so it doesn't seem unique to MTU. Even my TC stuff can be made to make a nice big noise, especially when switching inputs using the main function selector on a Finalizer Plus or also on the newer TC DB-MAX unit. Also can happen when searching for clock using the TC digital ins, somewhat similar to the MTU setup you described.

Apogee's a/d's can also make a very loud, non-muted noise when hooked up either to DAT decks or to MTU's stuff. If you inadvertently hit the sampling rate selector while connected to a digital input of a DAT or MTU, it'll also make you a big time noise.
I confess I did that once-- the Apogee was on a cart right near
my knee, and I musta brushed against it without knowing it...

I had one experience too where an Apogee extl power supply was becoming intermittent, and right in middle of a live session, I started getting all kinds of hash and junk-- big bursts of noise coming from nowhere all of a sudden, but intermittently (of course). At least I could track it down quickly and get on with the client and the live talent. I just swapped some cables (this was at an outside studio in NYC) and used the MTU i/o module's balanced analog ins/outs instead. Though it was disconcerting, it probably upset me more than the client-- who is an extremely fussy one-- but stuff like that can happen. It only resulted in a couple minutes of expensive downtime, and so it wasn't the worst thing I've seen in about 20 years in the studio.

(That would probably be the day 2 of 3 power supplies for a big Sony board went south with a 25 piece live session. The fail-safe was that with just one basic power supply running, all assignments etc to the console did not work, as well as all indicator lights/LEDs. But the preamps and modules did work. I repatched everything to direct outs from modules to a 24 track and still got the session done-- though with about 1/2 hour of extremely expensive downtime for all those players. It was hairy and I had to group/submix later, but hey, that's the kind of stuff that can happen though you hope it doesn't! 2nd worst was 1/2 of an SSL4000E going south in the middle of another large tracking date. Recovered from that one too. )

By now you've also probably noticed the whine noise when you power up with the i/o module -- which you don't have with Krystal alone. At outside places, I dim the monitors down a lot when powering up, but I actually use that whine as a simple signal continuity check-- so long as the monitors aren't cranked way up, it's a quick and easy way of knowing that the MTU system is being correctly returned to the board. Dumb, but it works.

Hope this helps.

Rich LePage