View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Workaround

You will get a loud click when you first invoke record via the AES port on-board the Krystal card, with valid AES signal being sent to the input (in my test a Finalizer with no audio running through it. If you just hit record with AES input selected, it will record the initial noise spike, which is quite loud.

This will happen when you have changed the Krystal I/O mode from Analog to AES/SPDIF, or AES/SPDIF to Analog. If you don't change modes, you won't get the pop.

However, if you keep the record screen open and then re-invoke record again, such as to record in a subsequent segment, you do not get the click. If you close the record window and then open it again though, you will get the click.

A convenient enough work-around though:
Generally, I don't just start recording. I usually put Medit into a record/pause state and then feed some signal to check the level before recording it. Done that way, the click won't even get recorded, since you're in pause when it happens.

Of course it will show up on speakers though. The other work around if you are recording in a bunch of segments is this:
1. Dim the monitor.
2. Open the record screen, select record/pause mode.
3. Bring up the monitor
4. After saving whatever is recorded as a segment, DON"T close the record window. If you like, you can move it down to the bottom of the project screen so it's out of the way. Then when you want it again, just drage it up. In the limited testing I did, doing it that way did not cause the clicks in subsequent records.

I myself do #4 all the time when doing inserts or revisions into existing projects. It is also much more convenient as a way to work for my needs, since I'm generally NOT recording into the project's default sound file, and thus if I close the record window and then want to add more segments, I'd have to go find the file I was using for the last one, open it, etc. etc. Easier just to leave it with the top of the record screen window dragged down into the bottom of the Medit project screen until it's needed again. Also avoids having to click "record a/b" or similar again. In fact I cover over that aread of the project window by dragging the top of the record screen there. Then when needed, you just pull it up and you're ready to go.

The complaint on the web site would probably still stand if you did discard say 10msec of audio at the front, because he's talking about the monitoring too-- not just whether it gets recorded or not. I have some DAT decks though that also make a brief noise burst when put into record or record/pause using a digital input. While they are trying to find something to lock to, they will spit out a noise burst or spike for a brief interval. It is somewhat similar to the digital noise bursts you also get with a DAT that won't play back right and also with CD players with digital outs when the source CD in the player is badly corrupted.

Hope this helps. I did not check this with later versions than 5.3.3 but will try to check on a 5.4 system when I can, disabling the i/o modules I normally use.

R.LePage