View Single Post
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:43 AM

Normally I'd agree with you, but in this case we have a very small venue. I suspect if the water-drinkers drove the spenders to find a new venue the place 'could' go out of business. The place has a good regular crowd that keeps the place in business. It is only good business to encourage them to come back.

I also didn't get the sense that this was about good vs bad singing. The regulars who keep the place in business happen to be good singers while the $7 idiots happen to be bad singers. If the story was reversed, that the regulars were horrible singers and the $7 idiots sang lilke rock stars, my suggestion would be the same. Run your business to stay in business.

There are a few karaoke bars in my city that I don't frequent because the owner (not the K host) desires a certain clientelle of which I am not one. My neighborhood pub is one of these places. It has a core group of heavy drinking customers who insist on getting falling over drunk and singing bad karaoke. I am not a heavy drinker and can sing all of them under the table, but I am not welcome in the bar. A $30 / person tab is not enough for their business model.

I don't begrudge they way the run their business. If you are going to build a business it is yours; do what you want. All I ask is that I know what's up so I can make an informed decision.

My favorite karaoke bar has karaoke 4 nights a week. 3 nights cater to the young rowdys. The 4th night caters to a mellow crowd. Neither the host nor the singers who come out the mellow night come out the other 3 nights. When rowdys do karaoke on the mellow night it is quietly suggested to them that they would have a better time on the other 3 nights. Everyone has a more enjoyable evening.

Note: not everyone on the mellow night are good singers (though most are), they just don't need to get stupid drunk before they'll sing.

Last edited by RandyMcCharles; January 23rd, 2009 at 12:03 PM.