View Single Post
Old November 19th, 2009, 06:59 PM

Microsound In Audio Post?

Hey all,

Got the notice to check in here. I'm on my way to dinner with the girlfriend soon, but here's a short contribution:

I'm still using my Microsound for everything I do... which hasn't been too much this last year due to the economy here in Tampa. But, last July, a film I did audio post for got some attention. I did all of the sound design, dialog editing, Foley (cloth, walking, props etc.), music editing, BG's, and the final mix on the Microsound. The feature film, "Loren Cass", opened in New York City and got rave reviews by Variety, MOMA, the Village Voice and other reviewers. What was a shocker was that the New York Times loved it too... and went so far as to mention the audio work... which is rare for reviewers to do for an opening film:

The New York Times writes about our audio post work for feature film, "Loren Cass": "Equal credit for the movie’s power and poetry goes to Gary Boggess for his extraordinary sound work, a dense, enveloping mix of drones, disruptions and howls..." - 7/24/09

LINK to the review:
http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/07/24...s/24loren.html

So, I see some of us STILL can't find a reason to abandon our MTU's... I know I can't. MicroEditor does exactly what I want it to do... EDIT, ASSEMBLE and MIX without getting in my way. It's still the BEST audio editing device I've ever seen... and I've spent time with protoys the last two years. I was on the advisory board and a frequent lecturer on music and film sound production at the Tampa International Academy of Design and Technology. I've sat in during sessions in their protoys studio. And I had to HUSH my thoughts often. Most of the time as I watched them (protoys certified instructors) work... I was thinking: "HOLY CRAP!!! I COULD HAVE DONE THAT OPERATION (or EDIT) IN SECONDS (w/MTU) AND THEY'RE STILL TRYING TO MAKE IT WORK!!!!"

So... long live the Microsound. I own FOUR computers with Krystal cards each. I have ONE 4in/4out external balanced I/O module, and ONE 2in/2out balanced I/O module, one extra and TWO OTHERS full systems, plus FOUR small 2- I/O boxes!!! I have most of this in storage out of paranoia of my main system failing. At age 57, I (or someone) will be able to work on MicroSound until long after the 2nd Coming!. ;P

btw, not taking swine flu vaccine... am convinced its all bio-weapons... and depopulation agenda. ;(

Last edited by Gary Boggess; November 19th, 2009 at 07:17 PM. Reason: I'm nutz