View Single Post
Old February 25th, 2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Ahh, as we try to redifine "Professional"!

It typically means in the American Society an occupation that requires some form of licensure, education, and some qualifying exams to prove to the public that you have demonstrated, at least by way of the above, a certain level of proficeincy in that particular field. However, the word professional, like many other American words, are extremely overused and often times go beyond their originally intended meaning.
Also, because you have all the certifications stated above does not mean that you are better than someone that doesn't, but at it least says that you made the effort
to honor the profession, and are aware of the laws that govern that profession, and are usually the only ones legalized to practice that profession. Karaoke DJ's or any form of music hosting does not require licenses, registration, proof of ability, which simply means that anyone can try it any where. Therefore, not a profession.
Nor a professional.
I am a registered professional engineer by profession and am legally allowed to practice that, charge for it, and guarantee thru liability, my services. Others who are not registered do the same thing, however, illegally, and perhaps even better. If they get caught, regardless of how good their design was, they go to jail, pay fines, or both. I also have a teacher's certification, of which required more schooling, more testing, etc. for me to practice that profession and get paid for it. DJ's do not fall under these strict laws of true professions.

DJ's sort of go under the general category of hobbyist, paid hobbyist, unlicensed trade or occupation, blue-collar worker, semi-skilled laborer, skilled laborer, etc.
Hey now I would be careful with what you says here. Yes SOME DJ/KJ's are hobbyist.

1.following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.
13.a person who is expert at his or her work

Now under that definition it does not say you must have a college degree or some sort of certificate. However a DJ can very much go to some college courses and get a certificate. But by definition you do not need any formal schooling to become a "professional" in any trade or job. Someone who never went to school in your trade might have 10 to 20 + years of experience on you and I doubt they would get into any sort of trouble. When you get a so call by your terms "professional" job you can have 2 years of school and have a certificate and have 15 years experience on top of that and get a better job then someone with a higher degree then you when they have less experience. You do not always need to have any sort of paper to be a "professional" in your trade.

We are not redefining anything here byrant. 10 even 20 years ago you didint need a degree for hardly anything. Michael Dell didn't have a degree when he started to build his computers out of the basement of his home. People that built houses from before time and even now still do not have degrees... they start out as kids doing the crap jobs and work their ways up and then join guilds or unions. You do not need a degree to drive a million pound diesal train for the railroad. In fact it is one of the first jobs you get in the railroad. I consider all these people professionals in their respected professions.

Just because a DJ or KJ do not have a degree in their respected professions there are professional DJ's and KJ's there are also amature DJ's and KJ's. If anything you are trying to redefine what a professional is. If someone is in a profession they could be a professional in their profession. I gave the definition above in one of the posts... read it and it will show that you are wrong that you do not need a degree to be a professional (otherwise I would LOVE to see a professional baseball players or football players degree in playing baseball or football lol)
Hopefully Hoster 3.316
AMD Athalon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3ghz
ASUS M2A-VM Motherboard
2 - 1GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair RAM
1 - 500 GB SATA Western Digital HD
1 - 160 GB external HD
ATI Radeon Sapphire X1650 Pro Video Card 512MB
Realtek HD Audio

www.downhomekaraoke.biz

Last edited by kilith; February 25th, 2007 at 08:19 PM.