View Single Post
Old March 16th, 2013, 04:38 AM

25 years and still standing

Good morning campers.

Can I have a gold watch someone?

Hammering into 2013 and time rolls on, as does the Krystal. I do believe I am up to the MTU quarter century mark now. (I imagine there are a few of us still out there deserving of an MTU birthday award).

I do believe my first contact with Dave was in 1988 or not far off that. As with the Yamaha DM2000, I was among the first in the world to go digital with their 8 channel DMP7 (circa 1987). I scanned pages of music mags to see if anyone was using computers to edit and contacted all I found - from Sonic Solutions to 'River' something or other. With my 286 desk top up and running Wordstar, I typed a fax,. (no internet then) Mr. David Cox was the 'ONLY' one to reply from a company called Micro Technology Unlimited. I duly bought the system including a massive 500 MB SCSI drive (if I remember right or maybe it was 650 MB, some odd number. It was the biggest available and I still have it somewhere for sure - I upgraded to 1 gig and the drive was bigger and heavier than my Jeep ).

Relative to my status then, it cost and arm and a leg, that with a desire to re-quip using a 386 mother board and the glorious Hollywood extra at great expense; The 'maths co-processor', running Windows 3.1. All up $30,000. (One could buy a card farm and a half Pro-Tools system for near half that now - not that I ever would).

Windows 95 came and died as did 98 and the ISA slot with it and indeed the REV J, WHICH STILL WORKS on an old Pent 4 I have stuffed under some table, running Win 98. I bought the Krystal soon after they appeared (delayed at that) and among to the world's first 24 bit ability. Mr. Cox eventually had it ported to Windows XP and no more floppy swapping and mayhem installing. A new world order had descended. Happy as pigs in.... I bought 3 or 4 Krystals over time, still have 2 - 2 found their way back to the States and colleagues and to my knowledge (touch wood, pray whatever) none of them have EVER gone wrong .................yet.

I wish this bulletin board allowed Jpeg attachments rather than silly motocons and I would post you a pic or two of either the set up or indeed me, still sitting here in March 2013, using my MTU krystal EVERY SINGLE DAY - often as much as 18 hours a day. It has been said so many times' "Nothing has ever come close - for practicality, ease of use and reliability'. Oh yes, I have Pro Toys, I have Logic, I have Cubase, I have computers coming out the ying yang, I use up-to-date plug-ins for processing and sometimes even recording, but all goes 'back to the MTU' at some stage. Should I see a doctor???????

I've just moved office (times are tough, smaller much cheaper unit) On the shelf, I see my old AKAI DR16s, gathering dust - again they still work perfectly I guess although I never upgraded them to 24 bit. I was thinking of poshing out the facility with racks and showing off, but decided nah!!! Just going to stick the two MTU editors there and a sound booth and keep going until I or it dies...... Really.. should I now see a doctor??

I bet my old buddy Jack Parnell is still doing the same in Memphis.

If only MTU editor was ported to VST - ASIO - USB or Firewire dah dah dah.... and an emulator to run in Mac or Windows 8, every You-Tube junky out there would be using it for quick clips to upload, far easier than all the Adobe, Logic or Cubase stuff and far far more flexible than say Sound Forge or similar.

Oh look, there are daisies growing above me. xx