Thread: KIAA Membership
View Single Post
Old December 11th, 2009, 11:26 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman51 View Post
I'm with billyo on his outlook at making a buck with karaoke. If I had to relie on karaoke for a living, i'd starve to death. I consider it an expensive hobby. If I make a buck or two to help offset my expenses so be it. If i don't, so be it. I do a few freebies, like retirement homes, jail ministry, and youth groups. Also for a special kids dance once in awhile. I am making about the same amount of money as any KJ up around here. I have been at the same american legion club going on 6 years now. Started out at 175.00 a night, i'm up to 200.00 a night, twice a month. Figure in all my new CDG's, and my two chartbuster monthly subscriptions, my new cargo trailer to haul my gear, lighting, new laptop, hoster, rack gear, cables, mics etc.... well you do the math. Where i make a buck are my extra gigs. Weddings, yard parties, graduations, biker gigs, pool parties etc. But it's something to do to get me out of the house and active. Incidently, i'm not sure about the rest of you guys. But i always git double pay on new years eve. If you don't, you should be. Merry Christmas
Not bad $200 bucks for an American Legion hall in an economically depressed area. I think even in Portland , ME (the least depressed area in Maine) the best DJ/KJ's are lucky to see $175 at any type of club. My wife's been doing the VFW for 7 years at $160, while others in this area range from 75 - 125 at any type of club.

New Years Eve (there's a post/poll on that here somewhere). We usually get around triple (everyone makes money then). I've been asked to play in three places this year. Had to refuse because work at regular place every year, and one of the other places asked "Well, can you next year?" and offered $50 more than the going place now. I told him I'd check and see if they book me next year (now with ammunition to ask for a slight increase).