Thread: Sample songs
View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2002, 08:53 AM

I've had very little success with any vocal removal but the reason is understandable. it will only work if the singer is center panned, which it appears very few are, probably intentionally at the recording studio to prevent removal. Also have to consider that in todays recordings, reverb and echo are added on separate tracks in the studio, and although Vogone or even the $1600 Thompson Vocal Remover may get rid of the lead vocal, you're still hearing the reverb and echo tracks. I think MTU clearly explains that Vogone reduces vocals in many instances, and that's probably why. The product does what it claims to do. The name may imply more, but then aren't they entitled to a level playing field considering what everyone else calls their products ?

Here's something I picked up on and have had some fun with. I've taken instrumentals that have a lead instrument and treated them with Vogone. Same result in many instances, but a reduced piano or sax then becomes part of the back up instrumentation, and not an annoying ghost.

An audio editing program such as Goldwave easily converts MP3 to Wav, but I haven't the foggiest what the effect might be when trying to process a converted file through a vocal remover. Have never tried it. Have you Danny?

Anyway, that's my view of the situation after messing with it for a couple of years.

Take care,

George

Last edited by George; April 20th, 2002 at 03:39 PM.