View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Cravotta View Post
In going through all the help info I decided to check on the Regions page and I found that I had no region established on the form. I know I enter the 'United States' when I installed the new burner. It was blank, so I entered the United States' again. I rebooted for it to take affect, setup my song and tried the burn.
I went through the test fine. When I tried to burn it errored out and ruined another disk. I tried again using only the 'write' instead of testing again. It started preparing the tracks and errored out again, of course, ruining another disk. I went bact to the region sheet and again it showed no region selected and mentioned 'remember you can only change region 5 times'. I thought about it not wanting to accept my region and decided I would change from Master and Slave to Cable Select which I did. I went back select Region 1 (United States) and it accepted it. I tried another burn with test and then no test and I lost another two disks. The region was accepted and I don't know if changing to the Cable Select option had anything to do with it.
I then put new cable leads into the computer for the two drives still using the Cable Select option. Nothing changed.
I feel I have tried everything that you've suggested and all the thoughts that I thought would have worked and really feel that there has to be something in the burned itself that is malfunctioning. I am now down to 45 disks out of the 100 I purchased from MTU. I feel that they should replace the unit and the disks that have been ruined.
Vince, why use the quality disks for this testing? Buy some cheap ones. Whether they burn or not it won't cost as much for testing. If it does burn (we find the problem) then it just won't be quality, but at least you'll know it is fixed and can then reburn on the quality disks.
If it was the drive then it would not have worked with other programs either which is not the case. I can't speak for MTU but I doubt they are going to replace it or the disks.
As far as the Region setting goes once you set it then it is set. If you open that setting again it shows blank so you can enter a new setting if you want, so don't reset it again.

Just for your information too, Microsoft only puts out updates on Tuesday, so if you check on Wednesday morning that will take care of your updates and you don't have to do them every morning.
Speaking of updates are you doing the hardware updates from Microsoft too? Half the time those updates (which they get from the manufacturers) are out dated and can cause problems. Only do the software updates. If you have been doing them too that may be part of the problem.