View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:46 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post
As a venue owner I can tell you that the KJ is of very little concern to the powers that be. When you decide to sue someone, you look for the deep pocket. How many KJs have one? But the venue owner, that is another story. They aren't going anywhere and usually have some assets worth enough to go after. I my personal, and very unscientific opinion, the only way a KJ would be in trouble is if he got caught up in litigation with the venue that wasn't paying their performance fees. If you are performing at any venue, at least be informed if they are paying their performance fees. You can then make an informed decision as to whether or not you want to play there. If you are 100% legal, you would never have a problem. If you are a pirate, I would think twice.
Mark is correct! The only horror stories that you hear about involving BMI or ASCAP, etc. shutting down a venue/bar/club is for not paying the performance royalty fees, whether it be the live performances, the jukebox, or the elevator music. And the fees/penalties don't involve just a slap on the hand, if these "Royalty Police" wish to prosecute!

Be Safe, stay legal, sell it to your venue owner/manager that you are 100% legal and your gigs will be stable and longlasting when having to compete against the "Fly-By-Nights"! Arrg!

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A