View Single Post
Old December 11th, 2000, 11:31 AM
Frequent Member

Alternate cards and software and multitrack

---Just wanted to let you know that my research seems to be leading me heavily in the direction of Nuendo as the alternate software and, possibly, the Sek'd 16 channel TDIF card as the alternate card....the hope is that MTU/Krystal and these other puppies could co-exist on the same computer.

Nuendo is supporting the MX2424 fully.

----As I use the MX2424 more, it is pretty obvious that it performs most of the timecode related and basic editing (cut and paste, crossfades) functions just fine, and very easily. There are ways already to export/import from the MX2424 that I think will work with MTU now to achieve some of MTU's power with these files, but this would be enhanced by MTU's planned multi-track support and the possible addition of OpenTL support.

On the multitrack front, here is what MTU needs to be able to do that it doesn't now do and that the MX2424 will never be able to do on its own:

1)Import/export AT LEAST 8 discrete digital tracks time-locked to each other with sample accuracy, whether from files on hard drives or through a third party I/O. (This part the MX already does), and-
2)Mix all internal segments and files so that they may then be assigned to AND MONITORED by AT LEAST 8 discrete digital outputs. I.E.- you have to have at least 8 "mix busses" or assignable output channels that you can direct segments to.

8 channels is the magic number for working in surround, and you have to able to monitor your work. This does not require internal surround software, however.

24 channels is the magic number for multitrack, but I don't see MTU becoming Pro Tools or, personally, trying to work with the program in that way....That doesn't mean, however, that 24 channels of assignable file or I/O destination wouldn't be useful.

ON THE SCSI FRONT- The MX is a SCSI-based machine, and is designed to either have hard drives plopped in and out or communicate with a computer via ethernet....SCSI drive bays will probably be the primary file transfer mode. I am assuming that the MTU stance against SCSI for MTU workstations will not interfere with having a SCSI bay on board for file transfers?