Thread: Dipping my toe
View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Frequent Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force
I have been battling those 75-100 dollar a night folks here too. These people really piss me off. I remember a few months ago I walked into a show near my house and saw the KJ sleeping behind the booth! Needless to say I walked out of that club with 2 nights a week at 150 but two weeks later the owner tried to talk me down to 100 because thats what sleeping ugly was charging him a night. After a heated discussion, I walked out. It was a shame, because I could have made him a ton of money. But I will Not work for less than 150. I offer a hell of a lot more than these clowns that are charging 75-100 a night. One thing I have started doing is "making friends" with these 75-100 a night people and educating them on what they can really make. I have finally gotten through to two of them around here and they are now charging appropriate fees and thanked me for it. A lot of them do it out of ignorance of what they can actually get as opposed to maliciously undercutting the competition. What we need to do is educate these lowballers on what to properly charge, and it will make it easier for all of us to get what we deserve.
These same lowballers in my area either go to every bar that already has karaoke and try to sell their goods. Once in a while they get a bar owner who just cares about the cost of having karaoke, but most of the time they just laugh in their face but use their approach as a menas to try and jew down the present KJ. I've started using the "yeah but if I do that we go back to the risk of skipping songs, not having ceratin songs and for that matter a dull show as I can't play the same games I play with just a disc system. No more Kamakazi Karaoke (yeah I could do it but then I can slant the results, which is the biggest complaint in the area of the disc based people.

Last edited by danny_g; November 15th, 2005 at 08:36 AM.