Thread: Dipping my toe
View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2005, 08:23 PM

Danny G, you really need to raise your rates. 125 for a four hour show is ridiculously low. A good rule of thumb is start negotiating at 225 for a four hour show. If you have to settle at about 150 to get the gig I can understand that but anything less is just insane. I am sure you are worth much more than that. Think of how much you have invested in equipment and music. I easily have over 20,000 dollars in cdg's alone, not including the equipment or dj music. Don't sell yourself short. You are walking in with 30,000 dollars worth of equipment and working for 125? Be careful you will get the reputation as "that guy who does karaoke for $125", and you will have a hard time getting more. Bar owners do talk to each other. I know this from experience. That and rates like that make it difficult for all KJ's to get what they really deserve. I remember a time when a 4 hour weekly bar gig paid $350. I only wish that was the case now, but the scumballs running burns have ruined it for all of us legitamate operators.