Thread: Dipping my toe
View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Frequent Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo
Thanks for the advice gotrich, Danny and Party On. I am taking it all in. I know it was a lot of questions all at once! ha! I've sent you a PM Gotrich.. I would like to see the booklet. That will go along way in helping me come to a mutual understanding with the owners. I realize it's more difficult than doing it for free. now you are working for both the owner and the singers. Keeping everyone happy can not be easy. I've been to some of the shows in town and quite frankly, I have not been impressed. They all have disks and fumble through them. Sometimes the disks work, sometimes they don't. I went to a show last Friday night and the guy got my song wrong EVERY TIME! We corrected it twice then finally I just sang whatever came up.
He has also had trouble with the monitor mix in the past.
These are areas I know I can excel in. I find songs very quickly, and my system is designed so you don't need a monitor mix. The crowd hears what the singer hears.. Much more simple, it always sounds great and people love to sing with it. I am hoping that by being able to provide the best sound and getting more singers up during a show, I can provide a better product for the owner.

What times do you folks run your shows to?
How do you handle assisting singers. I've kinda thought that was a no no unless they ask for it.. I don't assist now unless I am asked and that seems to work best for me..
Anyway, thanks again and I look forward to more feedback..
In answer to your first question as to what time I run my shows till, it depends a several things- 1:When you start, 2: when the place closes, 3:How much I get paid. Ok let's go with my question Number 3 as it decides when I start as my prices have a locked amount with an overtime amount listed in my contracts. I will do a 4 hour show for $100 with a $25 dollar setup tear down fee. If they want five hours that's $25 more as I do my hourly rate at $25 an hour which I feel is reasonable for a bar gig. I charge more for private parties. Now say it is a thursday night, where I am the law states that the bar has to close by 1 am. I always shut down a half hour before the shoe to get time to tear down and pack up my wires, mikes and laptop while closing up my rack. It also gives the bar time to get their customers out of the bar by 1 am. So 4 hours before 12:30 is 8:30 but personally I actualy start the karaoke end of it at 9 as singers in our area come out half an hour after my scheduled start so I play filler music at the start of my show. As to assisting singers You have the right idea. I will only help them if asked, nine time out of ten they don't. The tenth time usually a female wanting to sing a duet (normally it is either Picture, Paradise by the dashboard lights, I got you babe or Summer nights).