Thread: Cd24
View Single Post
Old July 28th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Frequent Member

24bit projects/Masterlink

----I'm not really sure the administrator has answered your question, so let me add a couple of details:

Yes, you can record 24 bit files in Microeditor, but your only A to D converter will be either the analog input on the Krystal card (not quite high enough S/N ratio for critical work, though better than most computers) or an outboard converter....You don't have to go through any big export/import trip to do this, just create a 24bit project.

Yes, microcd will automatically dither this project down to 16 bit for CD, and do it in a very pleasing manner, so you can use your 24bit files for CD.

The big question is whether or not you would want to take your 24bit files to a mastering house to be mastered. There are many people using Masterlink to do this, and many mastering houses accept Masterlink disks. They are also accepting the Tascam 24bit DAT (HR45, I think), which you could easily transfer to digitally from MicroEditor. You could also transfer digitally into Masterlink, I'm quite sure....The one thing I don't know is whether Microeditor will do a save as .aif on a 24bit file (like it does with 16bit files), and whether you could then present that file at a mastering house....Probably could, as most mastering houses now have ProTools, as well.

Another open question is what format the Masterlink discs are really in, and whether a Masterlink could read an .aif file from CD-R.

But the ultimate answer is that yes, you can work readily in 24bit format in MicroEditor, and that you can easily create a 16bit CD from the file in MicroCD and/or transfer the file to other media which is universally readable.