View Single Post
Old February 1st, 2009, 03:45 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Yes, but are these gigs that you play at , are they every week at the same place and keep your equipment at the place as well?
I'm Mobile, with setup & tear down every night!

I have found that the change in atmosphere by switching venues increases my base of regular singers, and allows for the show to have fresh faces that wouldn't necessarily travel the 20 +/- miles to the 3 gigs I currently play in!

I base out of Nogales, then travel 20 miles east to Patagonia, or 10 miles north to Rio Rico. Different crowd of regulars in each place, and thus don't allow the show to die due to overkill.

The Nogales gig I've done for 13 years, the Rio Rico gig is a Resort, where I did 3 years at the golf country club, then they asked me to move to the main hotel property where I've been for the past 3 years, for a total of 6 years, and the Patagonia gig is in limbo this month while they are changing ownership and remodeling to increase the size. I took over that show 3 years ago from one of my proteges that left the Karaoke business. I have been lucky enough to have a waiting list built up for the 3 nights that I presently allow myself / Wed-Fri-Sat ( I bowl Mon & Thur - Ha! ), but like I tell them when I contract to them, you've heard the rest, now you have the best! Building the show takes cooperation and commitment from the management and the Karaoke host, and that can only be done over the long haul, and if they are not willing to help me promote, and commit to things that my standards dictate, then I am wasting my time and their money, and the show will not prosper, and neither of us will make money!

You have to sell the sizzle at the beginning, and then be able to back it up by doing all the things that you promised! I feel my longivity has been perpetuated by being honest upfront, and delivering a first class package that allows the venue to make money. Advantage goes to the professional Karaoke host if you don't try to place your shows where they don't belong!

If you can't compete with a Karaoke jukebox - you have chosen the wrong line of work! Did I mention that it is alot of work, and not for the fly by nights, and the thin skinned, or faint of heart?

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke