View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Frequent Member

sync lock to TC

Well, admin (Dave, I assume), I understood the sync locking trick....wasn't sure the "tabletop" I/O did it, because I got the rackmount first and never tried chasing TC with the tabletop I eventually got at the end of the system's usefulness to me.

But, for all out there, it is important to note that that chase lock was varispeeding the wordclock to a potentially incredible amount, if needed, just as Dave says....and this tends to be pretty unusuable in many situations if one is utilizing the digital out instead of the analogue.....It worked so well, though, that I really did not have to think about the whole issue until I started trying to use Krystal locked to TC and started looking at other systems.

The good news ended up being that there are some very functional ways to achieve good synclock with native setups.....While there are some WC generators that will actually push the wordclock around according to incoming TC, the most stable systems will simply pass TC through to your computer, but lock the WC to incoming video signal or blackburst.......The computer DAW software will usually just look for the first good incoming TC address and start playback from there, but won't look at TC again....It will, however, play according to the incoming WC. So, if your video deck has good TC locked to picture and you feed the video output to your wordclock converter, then the deck and software should stay locked.

I had very good luck doing this with an early version of Nuendo using Steinberg's Timelock Pro (a repackaged Rosendahl box) to generate the WC straight from a normal video output.....even when chasing a VHS HiFi work tape (TC embedded on one channel of the HiFi audio), it would stay solidly locked for 90 minutes.....once you were sure that the program made a good decision about the first incoming TC it saw.

...And, while I was still using Medit to lock to TC, it seemed to work fine in more or less the same way as long as I had it clocking to a digital input that was releated well to whatever it was chasing.......This no longer worked for the VHS HiFi deck, but did work with a lot of other digital devices.....And when I had a pro video deck that could be synced to blackburst, I could use the blackburst to generate an AES output from my wordclock generator that would sync up Krystal.....only did this once or twice.

The ease of Medit chasing with the RevJ and I/O boxes, however, is a goner. DA88s would also chase this well and perform just fine, as long as you were using analogue I/O or dealing with a digital transfer where the varispeed was okay.